|Portrayed By||Beverley Owen, Pat Priest, Debbie Watson, Jo McDonnell, Hilary Van Dyke, Christine Taylor, Elaine Hendrix, Charity Wakefield|
|Series||The Munsters, The Munsters Today, Mockingbird Lane|
|Film(s)||Munster, Go Home!|
The Munsters' Revenge
Here Come the Munsters
The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas
Elsa Hyde (in Here Come the Munsters)
|Other Family||Herman Munster (uncle)|
Eddie Munster (cousin)
Grandma (grandmother, deceased)
Katja Dracula (grandmother) (in The Munsters Today)
Lester Dracula (uncle)
Cousin Phantom of the Opera
Lily's Unnamed Grandmother (deceased)
Medusa (great-great grandmother)
Lily's Unnamed Mermaid Relative (cousin)
In the series, Marilyn was portrayed by Beverley Owen and Pat Priest; this version being played by other actresses in later movies and sequels. Debbie Watson played the character in Munster, Go Home! and this version was continued by Jo McDonnell in The Munsters' Revenge and carried over into The Munsters Today, played by Mary Ellen Dunbar and Hilary Van Dyke.
In the 90s and the the 00s, the character was completely ret-conned by Christine Taylor in Here Come the Munsters; this version continued by Elaine Hendrix in The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas. In 2012, she was retconned once more by Charity Wakefield in 1313 Mockingbird Lane.
Bio[edit | edit source]
Marilyn Munster is the daughter of an unidentified daughter of Count Dracula and the niece of Lily Munster and Herman Munster. She is also the cousin of Eddie Munster, Herman and Lily's son. In one iteration, she is the daughter of Herman's sister, Elsa, who had married Norman Hyde.
Not much is known about Marilyn's life. Considering she is in college in the 60s, she was born sometime around 1945, possibly somewhere in the United States, but this has yet to be confirmed. As a infant, she was taken in and raised by her aunt and uncle under unknown circumstances. No mention is made of her parents whereabouts, but since dying means little to the family, it is possible they are deceased in a manner making it difficult to raise her. Since her last name is "Munster," Herman and Lily likely adopted her, but she still refers to them as "Uncle Herman" and "Aunt Lily."
Marilyn is a very kind and genial person, and she looks after both her cousin, Eddie and the family pet, Spot. She is very attractive (although homely by Munster's standards), and dates often, but very few of her dates ever get past the front entrance of the the family home, and the few who do get scared and run away by the appearance of her family, mostly her Uncle Herman. She attends Westbury College, once nearly losing her scholarship, but Herman had her tuition re-instated. She is very close to her Aunt Lily, the two of them frequently observing her uncle and grandfather getting into shenanigans both public and familial.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- There seem to be three iterations of Marilyn in the multiple franchises:
- The original Beverley Owen/Pat Priest Marilyn (loosely followed by The Munsters Today, Munster, Go Home!, The Munsters Today and The Munsters' Revenge.)
- The 1990s version where she was rebooted as the daughter of Herman's sister and Mr. Hyde in Here Come the Munsters and The Munsters' Scary Little Christmas.
- The 2000 reboot Marilyn in Mockingbird Lane, each of whom have differing histories and family trees. No notes are mentioned as to how she is related to Herman or Lily, but it is likely she is once again Lily's niece.
- Beverley Owen starred in the two pilots and the first 15 episodes of the series. Pat Priest played Marilyn Munster for the rest of the series.